Monday, August 11, 2008

what makes a song forgettable?

How is it that I can never remember the Olympic theme song? It seems so ingrained in all the programming every time the Olympics comes around, summer and winter; yet, I step away from the TV or into a non-Olympic year, and I can only come up with an odd assortment of bum-bum-ba-bum-de-dum's. I can recognize it when it's played, but I can't hum it to save my life.

This is not the only song that seems it should be easy to retain: what is the theme song for I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched?

What makes these songs so distinct yet so forgettable. I refuse to believe it's my memory.

I'm reminded of the Friends episode (yes, most everything in life relates back to Friends) where Ross walks into Central Perk, Monica starts humming the notes to "here comes the bride" and Phoebe says, "Oh, the Olympics."

I could identify that Monica was not singing the Olympic theme song, but if someone were to ask me to identify the Olympic theme song to prove it was not what she was singing, I wouldn't be able to do it.

I still can't. And it's playing in the other room!

No comments:

Post a Comment