Monday, February 9, 2009

my happy place

My graduation from graduate school consisted of tealights lining the stage, a man in black playing a cleansing bowl while consistently checking his watch (made it look like he was stirring a porridge and had to keep time on it) and a speaker who actually chanted. In any case, it was not what I anticipated as a formal ceremony marking the completion of two academically-intense years of my life. At one point, the chanter-guest-lady led us through some meditative exercises and asked us to go to our happy place. At which point, my sister later informed me, she leaned over to my youngest sister and asked, "is it wrong that my happy place is a karate studio kicking someone in the head?" I doubt that's what she had in mind. I focused instead on my professor who had created a telescope of sorts with the program and was surveying the audience from his perch on stage.


All this to say, graduate school graduation wasn't really my happy place. But, upon the good advice of a fellow blogger, friend and colleague, here are some things that make me happy.

  • Flannel sheets
  • Smell of fresh-baked bread
  • Warm sheets from the dryer
  • A rainy day in a bed with flannel sheets and a good book
  • Hot chocolate
  • Fits of giggles
  • Family (most of the time ;))
  • Nutella and peanut butter on anything (I'm serious, I'd probably eat a rock covered in it)
  • Driving
  • Talking to myself while driving
  • Singing while driving
  • Playing the piano
  • Trying to guess an inside joke from the outside (best at the symphony when the cellist has something going on with another musician - I suspect it's about the conductor)
  • Rare days of uber-productivity
  • Listening
  • Laughing till I cry
  • Genuine compliments (copied that one!)
  • Art
  • Music
  • Sapphires
  • Thinking
  • Theater
  • Making someone laugh
  • Power naps
  • Laps
  • Blue
  • Take-off
  • Hammocks
  • Gardenias
  • Stretching
  • Writing a letter to my grandfather
  • Getting mail
  • Dressing up
  • Hugs (contrary to popular belief)
  • Water (in it, on it, near it)
  • Umbrellas
  • Accents
  • Being tall
  • Sweat pants
  • Making every green light on my way to work
  • A new perspective or insight from an old story
  • Use of the word brouhaha or shenanigans in a sentence
  • Fire in the fireplace
  • Puns (thanks to dad!)
  • Destinations (I have a harder time enjoying the journey)
  • Being needed
  • Dreaming
  • Escaping in a book
  • Making a list
  • Finishing a list

No comments:

Post a Comment