A friend recently compiled her list of 50 places she wanted to visit and challenged me to do the same. Given that I love lists and travel and goals, it was a beautiful idea. So, below is a start of 35 places I'd like to visit in my lifetime - however long that may be. They're in no particular order and are a mix of domestic and international. Some are cities within a country, some are just the country in general. I did not put down too many guidelines so it's a bit of a hodge-podge. Armed with travel guides, a years supply of National Geographic Traveler magazine and the internet close by, I begin...
1) Istanbul, Turkey
2) Armenia (with a friend ;))
3) Macedonia (with a friend ;))
6) Colorado (Boulder & Denver)
7) New Orleans, LA
8) Washington (Seattle & Bellingham)
10) Machu Picchu, Peru
11) Puerto Rico
13) China (Beijing, Xian)
15) South Africa (Cape Town, Johannesburg)
21) New Zealand
25) Prince Edward Island, Canada
27) Grand Canyon
28) Grand Teton
34) Nova Scotia
I have a list of experiences that accompany the list of destinations. Given that these experiences could happen in a range of places, I opted not to associate them directly. There are a few that are "experiences" in a very specific place, but I'm interested more in the option than the destination. It didn't seem appropriate to list them above either.
1) Walk behind a waterfall
2) Go on a safari
3) Visit the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro, AL
4) A weekend in treehouses in Oregon
5) Ride a dogsled - not talking about the Iditarod, just would like to see how it feels - maybe a couple hours max.