In other news, we've signed up for a few baby classes courtesy of our hospital, with one notaable exception: where's the class on registering?! Twice I have visited Babies R Us and Target, and twice I've walked out marveling at the amount of stuff. If you think the wedding industry is doing well, wait till you get to the baby industry.
So, the following questions are within the context of "what do I need to buy in advance?" "what is hype and what is legit?" "what has been your experience?" Given the number of mothers and grandmothers I am fortunate to know, it seemed easiest to put these together in one place and request advice. If you have a soap box on one of these issues, this is the time to get on it. There is no way our future small (fingers crossed) child needs to sample 12 pacifiers to make a selection; however, if there is experience to suggest one option over another, I would love to know before I go crazy with the registry gun and/or my own, personal shopping spree.
So, here's what I've got so far:
- What am I looking for in a diaper bag? Shoulder or backpack? How many pockets or are there key pockets I should look for? Size?
- Crib bumpers? As cute as they all are and as prevalent as they seem to be with all bedding sets, I've also heard arguments that some people don't consider them safe to have in a crib. Thoughts?
- Baby bath options: unless I'm mistaken, my first bath was in something akin to a large pot (mom, feel free to clarify). That may still work fairly well, but there are now also at least ten different options out there, so is there anything that is definitely necessary or that is extremely helpful for infant bathtime or is a pot still a decent option with some gentle soap?
- Baby monitors: what should I be looking for? They now have video monitors, but I don't know that that's necessary - we have a small house and I don't know how much extra safety is given by being able to watch a baby sleep. Being a newbie, I'm open to opposing arguments. At the very least, I see the value in a monitor but am not sure what exactly I should be looking for?
- Health and safety gadgets: what do I need from this category?
- And for the grandparents in the group, or the regular travelers, what's good to have for schlepping baby on overnight trips?
- What were the most useful gifts or advice that you received?