Thursday, November 17, 2011

the journey of 1,000 miles....is still 1,000 miles

From an obscure date in October to whenever I accomplish my goal, I'm going to tally my miles walked or biked (for the purpose of exercise - walking hither and thither around the house doesn't count). My goal: 1,000 miles. Why? Because it's measurable. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have two younger sisters, and they are both more running-inclined. I wish I was, but I despise the activity. Maybe I'll fall into it one day after walking a few hundred miles, but for now, I'd rather walk, thanks. Anyway, one sister was getting frustrated because she was trying to make times and beat times and set personal bests, etc. The other sister said "I run to get the miles." That resonated with me.
"Huh, I should just exercise to add up miles and not worry about meeting set daily goals or times or calories. Just walk to add miles to my log (real or imaginary)."

I realize, or at least I hope, my tombstone will not read "Here lies Rebecca. She logged 1,000 miles," but I hope, barring any freak accidents, logging 1,000 miles will postpone the tombstone.

4 comments:

  1. Keeping a strictly exercise journal can be motivating. Nothing fancy, not long excerpts about how such and such walk made you contemplate life, but just "Date, started/finished at this time, walked this far, weather was _____". And then keep a "total miles" slot to add up as you go. It's kinda fun to look back and be like, "ooo, look how much I did!" Ok, maybe it's just me, but that kind of stuff helps keep me motivated. Having an overly eager beaver husband who drags you to the park before you're fully awake and irritates you into running helps too, but I don't know if I'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call what I've got a journal, but it's a spreadsheet with three columns: date, miles, type (walking - inside/outside or biking). I figure that's about what I want to know. I'm certain I wouldn't recommend that Nick try that wake-up/be excited routine ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea... I am a wanna-be runner. I love the idea of counting the miles to MEASURE the progress :)

    Julie Wagner
    from Meck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie! Yep - so far, it seems to be working. It may take me a decade, but I'll be walking at least. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete