Tuesday, January 17, 2012

recipe #1: puppy chow

A great snack, a recipe large enough to feed a small army, and a suitable "generic" gift to give over the holidays for the mailman, teachers, surprise gift-givers and the likes: puppy chow. I had been on the receiving end of some puppy chow years and years ago and loved it. Still, it didn't come around too often, and, being the formidable cook that I am, I didn't spend too much time finding out how to make it.

Thank you mom and cooks.com. She went online and did the legwork for me. To post the recipe I thought I'd be clever and put a link directly to it, but it turns out there are nearly a bazillion ways to do puppy chow (and they all look delicious). So, here's the recipe that I used. If you're interested in alternatives or remember a different variation, it seems highly probable that it's listed at the website too.

I didn't take pictures of the process (I know, bad blogger), but it's pretty simple. Look, if I managed to make it passable without pictures, I am confident that anyone else can do the same.

Ingredients:
1 lg. box of Rice Chex or Crispix (I used Crispix)
1 bag of pretzels
1 jar roasted peanuts
1 stick butter
1 c. peanut butter
12 oz. bag chocolate chips
1 box (about 1 lb.) of powdered sugar

Directions:
Melt butter and peanut butter together.
In the largest mixing bowl you have, mix Crispix, pretzels, and peanuts and pour the butter/PB over it.
Now add chocolate chips.
Cool, then add powdered sugar and mix well. (I actually used two very large mixing bowls to do the mixing - pouring ingredients from one to the other after adding powdered sugar).
Store in tight container.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment