Friday, January 20, 2012

recipe #2: sausage balls

This scrumptious, bad-for-you, breakfast treat was a favorite in our Sunday School class years ago. The woman who brought it always shrugged her shoulders and said, "Well, it's pretty easy, it's just baking mix, sausage and cheese." To a cooking novice such as myself, that was like taking a diagnosis from House. "I have what? Is that even a word?"

Ingredients:
2 Pkgs Light Original Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
1-1/2 C all-purpose baking mix (I used Bisquick)
16 oz (4 C) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tsp black pepper

Optional (Actually, these were in the original recipe, but I didn't include them):
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1/2 C finely chopped celery

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 F
Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl; stir well (I did this by hand which I think was a mistake - my next time around, I'll be using my KitchenAid mixer)
Form 1" balls
Place on ungreased baking sheet; bake 20 mintues or until golden brown
Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes before removing from pan

Note: May be prepared ahead and frozen uncooked. (This is what I did, and they turned out well!)
To Bake from Frozen: Thaw on baking sheet 15 minutes; bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown

No comments:

Post a Comment