Sunday, February 26, 2012

consign this!

My mom came down on Thursday of this past week so she and I could use her "Grandparent" pass to get in early to the biggest children's consigment sale in our area. It's a big deal. It's huge and awesome. You enter to find rows and rows of toys and then you go to the back and get sucked into the clothing vortex only to have to re-emerge and tread carefully to the check-out lanes by passing the toys - again.

You may recall that mom and I enjoy the hunt for a good bargain. If you don't recall, you may refresh your memory here and here with our trip to the Unclaimed Baggage Center and the World's Largest Yard Sale. We got to our consignment location - a local convention and events center where I had previously attended one of my sister's dance competitions and an annual fair. I had learned my lesson, by standing in line for 45-minutes, the last time I attended the sale. We were the second mom-grandma team in line. By the time 4:30 rolled around, there were nearly 100 such teams. I was giddy. Giddy in a way that drove home the "wow, you really are a mom" point. I couldn't afford half of the stuff I was going to buy on a good day regular-priced. The $1 and $2 price points were just begging for consumption, and I'm a good bargain consumer.

Apparently, so are other grandma's. This was a rowdy bunch. It was not a freckle past 4:30 and at least two grandma's made a knock at the door - one graciously requesting entrance, the other causing a scene. "It's 4:30 and that's when they said we could come in. What are we waiting for? Let us in." The volunteer let us in; I said a silent prayer first that my own mom-turned-grandma had enough decency to not cause a scene at a consignment sale because they were 20 seconds passed the opening time.

I had a list. I had an idea of what Little E needed: shoes, outdoor toys, and some clothes. Unfortunately, I probably should have put quantities on that list. For example, no more than 20 outfits. I didn't. I bought enough that I could technically start my own consignment shop.

Emerging from the aforementioned clothing vortex, mom and I piled our clothes on the table determined to whittle them down a bit. We sorted, discussed, put aside, brought back up, sorted some more, traded, reasoned, and eventually spent $150 between us. It did include an art table for Little E, a couple toys, and a couple books, but it was a massive ton of clothes.

I am calm. There will come a day when I will be on the consigning side of things. I already have multiple 20-gallon containers packed with baby clothes. We'll wait until we've "finished" our family building to start sending stuff out-bound, but when we do, we will have a lot to contribute. Of course, by that time we'll also likely have at least one more little one which means any money we receive from selling clothes will go right back into buying new ones. And, if Little E and/or any future children grown like Hubby and I did when we were younger, we'll be upgrading sizes at every bi-annual sale.

Bad news for us. Good news for consigners. Go ahead, make my day.

2 comments:

  1. I have never been to a massive event like that, but one of my close friends owns her own franchise of a kids consignment store up here that I love. They actually buy stuff from you as well and you can use what they give you as store credit - so for family planning :) you can always be trading for whatever your need. Looks like you have one not far from you. It's called Kid to Kid. http://www.kidtokid.com/charlotte Each store is different so I don't know if that one is any good, but I have found it to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth! I'll look into this for future planning - always looking for a bargain!

    ReplyDelete