Monday, February 27, 2012

monday meditation: 2/27/2012

Scripture: Psalm 8
Thoughts: I've taken to reading the Psalms. Initially I was going to focus my efforts on the Moses study, but I quickly realized I needed to continue spending time directly in the Word and not just on outside resources. I have not yet learned to appreciate the Psalms, but I've learned that God is faithful to speak if I am willing up front (that's how I got into a "lets-study-Moses" kick after the Pentateuch). So, I've prayed for him to open my eyes, and I committed also to highlighting the positive Psalms since I tend to get bogged down in the avenging enemies and wicked foes.

God has been faithful. He is starting to show me more about the justice of his nature (another area that I've put on an ever-growing list of things I'm curious about), and I've discovered some beautiful verses and passages to brighten my day.

This particular Psalm speaks to some internal dialogue I've been digesting about "going green" as a Christian. Generally speaking, it doesn't seem to be a conversation being held in most Christian arenas. I've become increasingly convinced that it is something Christians should be leading the way in. I'm not by any stretch a model example of how to incorporate "green" living into life, but I've been recycling much more, keeping an eye out for ways to reuse items, and participating in options to limit waste or recycle common materials. Again, not a model citizen by any standard, but growing daily in my understanding of what it means, and my conviction of why I do it.

It's right here in Psalm 8:6 - God made us rulers over the works of His hands. This is His handiwork. It's His prime example of His creative genius. The rules of physics, the interconnected ecosystems, the intricate properties of materials, and how it all fits together - His creation. And we should just toss it aside as though it's no big deal? We shouldn't worry about it disappearing or being altered so drastically that it no longer reflects His glory but demonstrates how far man falls short in replicating it? No. We should take care of it. Preserve it. Cherish it. Enjoy it.

I would never describe myself as an "outdoorsy" person. My idea of being "outdoors" is a full-windowed room in the mountains overlooking the pine trees and a hidden stream. Lovely. But, I have been delighted by a beautiful morning, awed by a powerful thunderstorm, and amazed at the complexity of life. Even if I hadn't though, they're His creation. His design, colors, shapes, contrasts, and textures. All His. With respect to the artist, we should take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment